This is a recipe that I was recently inspired to do, and I’m wondering if I was the first one to do it. I saw on Facebook that somebody liked to drizzle spaghetti sauce over their zucchinis before they cook them, and this popped into my head…
What if I put pizza toppings on it?
Since I got a Traeger Grill from Burns Feed Store, I’ve been feeling kinda adventurous with the grill, so I’ve been pretty passionate about trying new things. Here’s what I did:
- Cut zucchinis in half lengthwise, leaving the stems to serve as the “pizza’s” crust.
- Take a spoon and hollow out the fleshy seed part of the zucchinis, but not too much, because you want a good chunk of zucchini left behind. Just enough for the sausage to sit in.
- Brown up some sausage meat, and lay it along the length of the zucchini.
- Dribble pizza sauce (my wife made that; I don’t know how) over all the sausage.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese liberally over the sauce.
- Lay pepperonis across the cheese across the length of the zucchini
- Sprinkle the top of the pepperoni with romano cheese.
- Throw it on the Traeger on 350 for 15-20 minutes or so. The cheese will bake pretty good, but don’t take it off until the zucchini is cooked through.
I’m telling you, this will be a weekly thing at my house. It was SO GOOD! Any other Traeger recipes I need to be thinking about?