Our everyday lifestyles have changed over the years and in today’s society, everybody daily routine has become so hectic and sedentary at the same time, that we ended up stressed and suffering from various health issues, mainly attributed to physical inactivity.
Our Doctors are regularly advising us not to forget about of physical activity, but many still put it on the bottom of the to-do lists for the day, making up excuses like a lack of time, exhaustion, and so on.
On the other hand, there is a growing number of people aware of the importance of physical exercise, but still, regard walking as not the best way to gain fitness and lose weight.
Walking is the oldest human physical activity, and it is extremely beneficial for our bodies. Walking accelerates metabolism without wearing down the joints, and burns calories, but this is only a small part of the numerous advantages of the activity.
Here are six health benefits of walking:
1. It can fight chronic diseases such as heart disease, arthritis, and diabetes. It is one of the safest exercise forms, supports joints with improved circulation which helps the lymphatic system to do its job, and lowers inflammation.
Walking is a free, effective, and simple way to maintain a good physical shape, and improve muscular, heart and hormonal functioning.
2. Walking is an incredibly effective way to maintain a healthy weight. It is an easy exercise to keep up with, has a low risk of causing injuries, and does not cause exhaustion compared to more intense workouts.
3. It lowers the risk of strokes, coronary heart disease, and heart attacks. A study published in the American Journal of Preventative Medicine in 2013 showed that a brisk walk positively affects resting heart rate, blood pressure, exercise capacity, maximal oxygen consumption and quality of life.
4. Walking is a natural way to improve mood, and fight depression and anxiety. Commonly known as ‘’runners high’’, all forms of exercise release natural ‘feel good’ hormones in the brain, including endorphins.
5. Taking a regular walk stops the loss of bone mass due to aging. Walking is a great way to fight against gravity, as it forces the bones to become stronger to continue supporting the body weight and lowers the risk for fractures or osteoporosis.
6. Walking is low impact exercise that requires minimal equipment, can be performed at your own pace, and at any time.
It is excellent for overweight people, elderly, and for those who haven’t exercised in a long time, as they should not worry about the risks associated with some more vigorous forms of exercise.
Therefore, get out, walk and enjoy the social part of your lifestyle!