8 Back-to-School Items That Should Be On Every Student’s Shopping List
With the beginning of the school year just around the corner, Mental Floss has compiled a list of eight school supplies every student should have on their first day. Here they are:
- Planner. Writing down all commitments and assignments in one place will ensure your student will never be able to say they forgot a big deadline.
- Notebook. Whether it’s a spiral notebook or a legal notepad, all they need is a book of blank pages to start studying.
- Sticky page markers. When reviewing a textbook for an exam, or reading a novel for English class, students can use sticky markers to indicate the sections they want to come back to later.
- Index cards. If students have mastered the subjects on some cards but not others, they can sort the cards to focus just on what they need to memorize.
- Poster boards. Physical displays like poster boards and tri-folds are still staples of many class presentations.
- Easel pads. The large sheets of paper can be used to brainstorm ideas and help motivate decisions toward a shared goal.
- Wall calendar. Students can hang wall calendars above their desk at home and use it to visualize their schedule.
- Reference books. A thesaurus and dictionary can be useful tools when studying English or writing an essay.