You can still get together to watch and talk about your favorite shows and movies even though you are social distancing. Netflix and Google Chrome have teamed up to roll out Netflix Party.
The web browser extension will allow users to stream content and chat with friends about it at the same time. The program will be in-sync for everyone some no one is too early or late on what’s happening.
In order to participate, all you need is a Google Chrome browser, the extension and a Netflix subscription. Here’s how it works:
1. Go to netflixparty.com on a Google Chrome browser and click “Get Netflix Party for free!” This will redirect you to Netflix Party’s page on the chrome web store.
2. Click “Add to Chrome” and then click “Add extension” in the pop-up window. Netflix Party will then be added to the top right corner of your Google Chrome browser, next to the address bar. It will have the initials “NP.”
3. Make sure your friends have downloaded “NP” onto their Google Chrome browsers as well.
4. Using your Google Chrome browser, go to Netflix.com, and play the show or movie you all want to watch.
5. Then click the “NP” button on your browser. You’ll also have the option of making yourself the one in charge of pausing, fast-forwarding and rewinding by checking the “Only I have control” box. If you don’t, anybody in your party will be able to use these features.
6. Click “Start the Party” and copy the URL that appears. Send this URL to the people you want to join your party.
7. Once your friends open the link, they should log into Netflix and hit the “NP” button on their Google Chrome browsers.
8. You should now be synced up! Enjoy your program. You can also communicate with each other via group chat on the right side of the screen. Choose a festive user icon and screen name and share all your binge-watching feels through messages, screenshots, emojis and GIFs.
See, social distancing doesn’t have to be anti-social! Enjoy Netflix and chilling together, virtually.